Today I made peach cobbler and an orzo salad. The peach cobbler recipe comes from Bubby's Homemade Pies. I tend to think of pie recipes along the same lines as the pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean think of the Pirate's Code - as guidelines, rather than actual rules. At this point in my culinary education, I can put flavors together pretty well, and I can tell pretty well how much of something to put in without measuring, but I don't always think of the flavor combinations. So that was mostly what I used the recipe for, to figure out what spices I should use. This recipe won easily because it said to use Cardamom. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices, in spite of the fact that I don't use it very often.
So, I made a basic pie crust (any recipe will do, they're pretty much all the same) and then cut up 5 large peaches (you can peel them if you want, I decided against it) and mixed them with some lemon juice, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg. I didn't measure, so I can't tell you how much of what or which. Just add until it looks right and taste it. If it tastes good, then you're done, if not fiddle until it does. I then did a lattice crust (a rather successful one too!) and baked it for about half an hour.
Now the Orzo Salad is from an actual recipe. If you have a copy of the Frog Commissary Cookbook, it is on page 65-66 - "Orzo Salad with Fragrant Sesame Dressing."
Basically you cook some orzo, shred some carrots and mix them with yellow raisins, sunflower seeds and a dressing consisting of salt, corn oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, scallions, red paper flakes, rice wine, orange peel, pepper and a little sugar. I am not really sure about the legality of putting the actual recipe on my blog, but if you want it I can get it to you.
Until my next food adventure!
Beki
Hoping to have them tonight!
ReplyDeletefun fun! I love cardamom, too! If you're looking for more ways to use it regularly, I like to pop one or two pods in any black tea mix, and with cider season coming up it goes great there with cloves and cinnamon as well!
ReplyDeleteIt is quite a posh cobbler that has a lattice top. not cobbled together at all really :-P
ReplyDelete