Today I went to the Mushroom Festival in Kennett Sq. with Uel and his parents. In addition to deciding that mushroom growing was going to become my latest hobby/crazy thing I was known for doing (I even already have 1 mushroom log! I am investigating obtaining others) I had some delicious food.
I had a bowl of mushroom risotto. It was absolutely delicious. Even though risotto can be time consuming to make, I have definitely been swayed into mushroom risotto experimentation (once I have sufficient mushrooms from my logs of course.) This risotto seemed pretty simple, which took nothing away from it's deliciousness. There were shitake mushrooms, and maybe one other kind (possibly oysters, but I don't think so) and some herbs as the main flavors. I think that the risotto rice (I am not good enough to tell you what kind of risotto rice was used but arborio is the most commonly used) may have also been cooked in some kind of stock, but maybe not. There was also parmesan cheese. Sounds simple, and was completely delicious. Mushrooms, if you use interesting ones and not the common button ones, can add wonders of flavor to foods.
Another example being the mac and cheese with mushrooms that Uel had (and that I stole some of) which was also just absolutely delicious. I know I just said that mushrooms can add a lot, but I don't know how fully I realized that until today.
To top off the food explorations of the day, I tried egg nog ice cream. It was super rich and super delicious it was hand made by the lamichoacana ice cream parlor. They do a lot of very original ice creams and water ices including a mango chili pepper water ice. For the festival they had a mushroom ice cream bar (which I did not try) that consisted of vanilla ice cream with mushroom pieces. Sorry, all, I wasn't quite brave enough.
I think that is all for today!
Beki
No comments:
Post a Comment