Uel and I went down to the Clark Park farmer's market to pay a very nice farmer the $5 dollars owed and to get some dinner inspiration. We saw butternut squashes. I, personally, am not really a fun of summer squash. But winter squash? I can't get enough of it. Especially butternut squash and pumpkin. So, naturally, we thought to make butternut squash soup. Next challenge: How to complete this plan without having to do further shopping. The recipe (click me!) calls for heavy cream, which we didn't have. However, at the same farmer's market, there was a guy selling whole milk goat's milk and we decided that that would suffice.
Note: 4 Oz, is definitely not 4 cups. I tend to forget that it calls for 4 oz of heavy cream/goat's milk, which is mostly just silly and causes me to demand people come over and eat pasta alfredo.
Making the soup this time (the last time I made it was in Pittsburgh) was much easier due in no small part to my now owning a stick blender. A stick blender is key for this (and I'd argue) a lot of soup making. The one I have is by bamix (here), it comes with several different blade attachments and is undoubtably the boss when it comes to stick/immersion blenders.
The recipe itself is rather simple, bake squashes, scoop insides into pot, add chicken or vegetable stock, add dairy of choice, spices and you're good! If you are like me and Uel and make this recipe for just yourself you can either freeze the leftovers, or cook down the soup a little bit into a delicious sauce. The sauce form is served best over a cheese type pasta live ravioli or tortellini.
Oh! You couldn't really tell the difference with using goat's milk instead. It was maybe a bit less creamy and a bit more squashy, but I still thought it was delicious.
Beki
No comments:
Post a Comment