Here's the recipe for my mushroom bolognese. It is adapted from a recipe from "On Top of Spaghetti." I don't know how closely, because I couldn't find the cookbook. If I could, then I'd be posting that recipe instead of my own. Hopefully I'll find the cookbook soon and I can make that and figure out something. All of that said, I really was quite pleased with the outcome. So while different, it was delicious.
Here's what you need:
Vegetables:
1 lb portobello Mushrooms
1 lb (or so) of another mushroom - I used Shitakes, I want to say that the original recipe called for dried porcini mushrooms. I don't think it matters a SUPER amount, but don't use ordinary button mushrooms. They are boring.
5-6 baby carrots, chopped as small as you can
1 large bell pepper (any color is fine)
1/2 onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste.
Spices:
3-4 cloves of garlic - chopped, mashed, whatever.
Basil - teaspoon dry or 10-15 leaves fresh + 1/2 teaspoon dry (leave aside)
Oregano - 1 tsp dry or 10-20 leaves fresh + 1/2 teaspoon dry (leave aside)
Sage - 1/4 tsp dry, or 3-4 leaves fresh + 1/4 teaspoon (leave aside)
Rosemary - 1/2 tsp dry, 1 sprig fresh + 1/4 teaspoon (leave aside)
Cumin - 1 tsp powdered, + 1 teaspoon (leave aside)
Pepper - 1 tsp.
(all spice measurements are approximate, please add more or less to taste.)
Other ingredients:
red wine - 1/4 cup
salt - 1 tsp + 1 tsp for pasta water
Pasta - 1 lb (I would recommend Linguini or some other heftier pasta)
Parmesan cheese
Olive oil - 2 Tblsp.
1. Chop all vegetables and herbs
2. Sweat onions and garlic in olive oil with the salt - about 3-5 minutes
3. Add carrots and peppers, sweat another 2-3 minutes.
4. Have someone make you a lovely beverage
5. Add spices (the larger amounts) and sweat another 2 minutes, Stir.
6. Put water on for pasta
7. Add all mushrooms. Sweat another 5 minutes
8. Drink your lovely beverage.
9. Add the diced tomatoes, the sauce and paste. Stir to combine
10. Add the additional spices
11. Add Red wine, Stir to combine
12. When water has boiled add salt then pasta.
13. Add small amount of parmesan to sauce (a couple of tablespoons)
14. When pasta is cooked, combine with sauce and serve.
15. Additional salt, pepper, and parmesan to taste.
I hope you enjoy it!
Beki
No comments:
Post a Comment