Tuesday, April 24, 2012

2nd term!

Ah!  So I have been terrible at keeping up this blog.  So much has happened.  I am in my second term now, and all my production stations are the same, so I think I will post about those as I go through them this term.

Big things from last term:
Showcase:

So, Showcase happens for every new freshmen and it's an opportunity for parents and friends to see the school and what we do.  For pastry, this wasn't a very trying experience.  Everything was prepared during production and we were there just to make it an actual event.  I was in the bread room.  So we baked off doughs, cut them up and serve.  We'd also explain what things were and how things worked.  It was a pretty fun night.  I learned all about things in the kitchen being "sexy", which was pretty entertaining.  Mostly it is just making everything look nice and appealing (no half empty bins of ingredients, etc.) but it was much more entertaining to have these things described in terms of sex appeal.

Finals was the next big thing.  I had a knife skills test, which I got an A on, and a quiz that i also got an A on despite completely forgetting about it, for Intro to Culinary for Hospitality Professionals.  I had a written final for Intro to Pastry Arts, and for my practical in Pastry Techniques I had to make Paté Briseé (Pie dough) and Pastry Cream.

And now I am in term 2!  I am a Freshman 2!

This term I am taking Appetizing Starts, Production, Bar tending, math, sanitation and bread.  Very excited for bread.

I've only had Appetizing Starts and Production so far this term, but both have gone well.  I have Chef Ferratti for Appetizing Starts and we made soups yesterday.  Emma and I made Manhattan Clam Chowder.  Chef was really nice and told us that all our soups were really good, and not just for pastry students.  So that was awesome.

Anyway, that's everything so far!

Beki

No comments:

Post a Comment